So, missionaries (like those with SIL International) and NGOs have been accused of being affiliated with the CIA beforeCitations 1 and 2 are from Wikipedia article on SIL International..[ref 1][ref 2] But the recent announcement that a doctor [ref 3] [ref 4] helped the CIA has some serious implications, what about his Hippocratic oath? Doctors and humanitarian aid workers build trust with people. In some places this trust is hard earned and much unappreciated when someone (or organization) piggy backs on these relationships without consent, as was recently reported in The Atlantic.[ref 5] It would seem that for all the cries for ethics that academics make that this issue should be more in uproar than it currently is. I understand that war is war and that in war trust is just another item to be taken advantage of, but that is what terrorists do. Isn’t the difference between peace keeping and terrorism a matter of ethics?
- Elizabeth A. Cobbs. “Thy Will Be Done: The Conquest of the Amazon: Nelson Rockefeller and Evangelism in the Age of Oil – book reviews” (Christian Century, November 1, 1995) Findarticles.com ↩
- Gerard Colby and Charlotte Dennett: Thy Will Be Done: The Conquest of the Amazon: Nelson Rockefeller and Evangelism in the Age of Oil (Harper Collins 1995), ISBN 0-06-016764-5. This book contains allegations of Rockefeller’s use of American missionaries, and in particular, the Summer Institute of Linguistics, who cooperated in conducting surveys, transporting CIA agents and indirectly assisting in the genocide of tribes in the Amazon basin. ↩
- Renee Montagne and Julie McCarthy. 7 October 2011. Pakistan Doctor, Who Helped CIA, Accused Of Treason. NPR. http://www.npr.org/2011/10/07/141144760/pakistani-doctor-who-helped-cia-may-face-treason-trial [Link] ↩
- NPR. 1 February 2012. Doctor At Bin Laden Compound Connected To CIA. http://www.npr.org/2012/02/01/146233625/doctor-at-bin-laden-compound-connected-to-cia [Link] ↩
- Marc Ambinder and D.B. Grady. 15 February 2012. The Story of How U.S. Special Forces Infiltrated Pakistan. http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/02/the-story-of-how-us-special-forces-infiltrated-pakistan/253100/ [Link] ↩